Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Vacations over! SLC 1/2 Marathon.

Well...I am back on-line...I think...for today anyway!

Last weekend I completed my goal to run another race!  I ran the Salt Lake City half marathon.  My personal best!  2 hours 2 minutes!

It was not without a few obstacles to get me through the race, but I did it!  I never want to hear "I can't..."  because I know if something is important to you....you can...!!!!!  I did!!!!

I began my training for this race in February.  I joined a running clinic led by two fearless trainers, Angela and Rachel.

Before I start this years journey I have to take you back in time a little....last year I did the same training and I TRANSFORMED!  I learned how to eat better to fuel my run, lost a little fat, gained a little muscle and A LOT of confidence.

Back to now....I started my training feeling a little fatter, not as strong and a lot less confident.  Through the past 8 weeks I trained with my wonderful trainers and a great group of runners, including my dear friend Jolie.  (Jolie was not able to run with me because of some injuries. She is recovering and will be back...she is amazing!!!)

2 weeks before race day our little family packed up and went to Hawaii for spring break.  I was a little nervous about ruining all my hard work with a vacation in the middle of training, but I wasn't going to miss Hawaii.  While in Hawaii I ran, but our 3rd day into the trip I started to retain some water.  Each day the water retention continued....6 days into my trip and a week away from the race I wasn't sure I would be able to run.  Feeling weighed down, not able to run and very discouraged I decided to give up on my race.

We came home and I stepped on the scale.  EEEEKKKK!  I was up 7lbs.  I was freaking out.  I tried to be good on vacation, eating well and keeping my adult beverages to a minimum.  What was wrong!!!!  I was advised to take a water pill.  Thank goodness it worked and I was back down to normal.

By now I was only 2 days away from the race, but still feeling a little sick.  My trainers encouraged me to run.  It wasn't until last minute I signed up to run!  I wasn't going to let my training go to waste.

RACE DAY...I woke up feeling really tired, but ready to run.  I tested my blood sugar that morning and it was high.  I figured I was having race day nerves.  After breakfast I was getting ready and to go and still didn't feel right.  Checked my sugar again....WOW....even higher!  After a little investigation I realized my insulin pump wasn't working.  I only had an hour and a half before my big run.  I didn't know if I was going to be able to make the race....without my pump I was in trouble!

20 MINUTES BEFORE THE RACE...I fixed my pump and blood sugars started to go down.  I was safe to run, but new I would be battling this through the race.  It was tough...I felt sluggish...maybe still a little toxic from my vacation, but I did it!!!!

OK, so I am up a few pounds from last year and I didn't stay as true to my training routine as I would have liked, but I wanted to know if I still had it in me to run.  The obstacles before me made it tough.  Having a chronic illness makes me feel weak...but, I proved to myself I can still do it!  Life is beautiful!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Lisa! Way to go....maybe next year I'll do it with you. Maybe. Don't exactly hold me to that.....YET.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lis!!! I'm so proud of you!
    Everything that you over-came, the time you ran the race and your attitude is a true winner! Thanks for all the fun days training together :) I sure did awaken my body and of course, build our friendship!
    Love ya runner gal!!!

    ReplyDelete