Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A new season and a hike up the mountain.

 I know I haven't blogged for a long time.  We had a crazy summer (mostly hanging out with the kids at home).  Back in April I was feeling a little burnt out.  Kids, diabetes, running around like a chicken with my head cut off...it will wear a girl out these days.  So, I took a break from the blog.

But, I am back!  The seasons are changing and fall is in the air.  The kids are back in school and we have a new routine.  I am feeling a little more refreshed and ready for the change of pace (thank God for the seasons).
Instead of filling you in on the whole summer I will start off with the new...

Sunday we went on a hike.  This wasn't just a little hike.  We climbed a BIG mountain...Mt. Timpanogus.  Honestly, I didn't realize what I was getting myself into until after we finished.  
For those of you  unfamiliar, this mountain is 11,749 feet in elevation and the hike is 14 miles roundtrip.  I didn't know...and I live here.

We started out at 7:15am.  I was a little annoyed that we were starting so early, but did I mentioned that I didn't realize what I was about to do...hike all day!  So, here I am with Jerry and Dalton ready to go!
It was a crisp 46 degrees,  Not too cold once we started to hike.

It didn't take long for us to warm up and take off the jackets.
It looks like springtime in the mountains.  The wildflowers are in full bloom.  The pictures don't do it justice...blankets of colorful flowers!


And, still a little snow and ice.

We had to hike across a ravine here.  Once we crossed over and looked back, we realized the fall was about 10 feet down.  Made us a little nervous to think what could have happened if we had slipped through the ice.  Not good, but we made it safe and sound.
This was my favorite flower, the Indian paintbrush.

Up, up, up we went.

The views were amazing!





Beyond the flowers you can see our destination.  We are about 2 1/2 hours from the top here.

This is a great view of my butt heading to the top of the mountain....Derek......

 Over the meadow and up the rocks we climbed!  We made it...to the saddle.  From here I felt like we were on top of the world over looking Utah Lake and beyond....

And our fearless group...
Carl...

Lynsie and Jay...

Jerry and Dalton...

But, we were an hour from the top of Timp (by now we had been hiking for 5 hours 10 minutes).  
I finally realized what I was in for and I was climbing to the top of a freaking mountain!

After soaking up the view for a minute we continued our climb...
Up, up, up...all rock at this point.

I made it! 6 hours 10 minutes to the top.

I am afraid of heights, so this was...scary.  There is only about 5 feet of rocky and unstable mountain top.  We sat down and enjoyed the view.

We were on top of the world!  I swear I could see all of Utah from up there.

                                      
Jerry had to show off his climbing skills!  He is an excellent hiker!

I realized today how much I really missed hiking, the outdoors and the wonderful place we live. I haven't done this much since the kids were born.

I enjoyed the flowers!

I enjoyed all the sweet smells!


We ran into this little fella in a meadow toward the bottom.  

So.....11 hours 10 minutes later, I realized what I had just accomplished.  I hike a mountain today!  
It was beautiful!  Life changing perhaps.  It made me more thankful...I am thankful for my strong body that carried me up and down the mountain.  I am thankful for the beautiful mountain we climbed and the amazing things we saw on our trek.  And, I am thankful for the awesome people that shared this experience with me.  It was amazing!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I want to do it next year....absolutely breathtaking!

    I am thankful for YOU!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks wonderful!! Wish I could hike like that!

    ReplyDelete