Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

New York!!

Last Wednesday I was able to slip away and join Derek for a business trip in the big apple!

I will apologize in advance for the length of my post, but it was fun and so many things to share.  

When I arrived on Wednesday night my friend Ethan, one of New York's finest, picked me up from the airport.  We made a quick stop by the firehouse before dinner.  Ethan was a gracious host!

Here he is his in front of one of the trucks.

I quickly made myself at home looking at the trucks and trying on Ethan's uniform.


That jacket is heavy!!!  I didn't put on the pants, but picked them up...wow, heavy!  No wonder those guys are all in such good shape!


These are the murals on the walls in the locker room.  One of the fireman who used to live there painted them.


This one is particularly touching.  The number on his hat, "343" is the number of firemen lost in the 9/11 attacks and the date, "91101" underneath.  He doesn't have a face because he represents all the brave men lost.  I still get chills thinking about it.

They took me for ride in one of the trucks, but I didn't take a picture because I was overwhelmed with all the firemen and the big truck...can you blame me?

Thank you Ethan for showing me around.  Such an honor to see the inside of a NYFD house.  Thank you for all you do!

We met up with Derek and his business associates for a wonderful dinner in Little Italy.
We ate at Angelos.  Fantastic food and company!

In the city that never sleeps, our night was young and we headed to McSorley's.

Established in 1852, this is one of the oldest bars in the city still running. You can feel the history once inside.




McSorley's is a simple place.  You find a place to sit with whomever has room at their table.  We sat with some of the dancers from "STOMP".  I asked them to dance for me, but they wouldn't.
  You can order light or dark (beer that is).  Then they bring you a whole bunch of beer to drink!


Ugh!  We had already had a bunch of wine at dinner, but you can't pass it up here.

Everything is really dusty inside.  This is a chandelier hanging above the bar.  Under all that dust are wish bones left from the soldiers who were called off to war (I forget which one).  They were going to break them upon their return....you can see how their stories ended, but the wish bones remain.

It used to be a gentlemen's bar.  Woman were not allowed in until 1970 and they didn't even put in a ladies room until 1983!  They made all the ladies run across the street to potty.


On the walls you will find pictures of famous people and presidents with lots and lots of dust!!!

Ethan and I drank our share...

(in the pic:  Todd and Nancy Rice to the left of Derek and Ethan on my right)
Derek's shirt really says it all here...LUCKY...lucky to be in NYC, Nancy is a breast cancer survivor, sooooo lucky, and so lucky to have Ethan hosting us in the city.  What a night!!!



The next day I woke up with a really sore arm.  I had forgotten about my injury the night before.  It happened before I drank any wine or beer!!!  I think the alcohol numbed my pain....

NEVER stick your arm in the subway door when it is closing!!!  I hopped on the subway and Ethan was behind me.  The doors began to close and like an idiot I stuck my arm out.  I think the conductor reopened the door because she saw Ethan running, my arm did nothing but almost get stuck.  I could have lost an arm!!!  It is hard to see my bruise, but almost a week later I still feel the pain.

Thursday I headed to Time Square with Nancy while Derek worked.  I didn't buy much, just a couple of Hersey bars for the girls at the Hersey store.  They had the cutest Halloween display in the window. We mostly wandered around looking at the people and listening to the sounds of NYC...HONK, HONK...and a couple of f-you's!  


The famous ball...I had never noticed it before.


Look who I found!  Matt Lauer at the Today show.
Derek was not happy with me because I drug him out of bed at 6:00 a.m. after another late night. 
It was pouring rain!!!!  So, our Today show visit was cut very short and we were soaked.  The talent was smart enough not to come back out for a second "hello" in the rain.

It didn't stop all of us suckers who wanted to be on t.v.  Pretty sure we never made it on air that day.


Later on Friday we met up with some other friends.  Mark, Angela and Ethan.  They took us to Wall Street and the New York Stock Exchange.  We spent some time wandering around the city catching up. We hadn't seen them since ski season.


We had a tickets to a  broadway show that night...


front row seats.  FANTASTIC!!!  



Saturday, Derek and I took the train out to Long Island and Mark and Angela took us to a few of the wineries.  Beautiful country...would have never thought to go wine tasting in New York.

Angela and I really enjoyed the wine!
Saturday was the first day we got to see the sun and we really enjoyed this little patio.


Liked this picture so I had to post it.

Derek and Mark had a hard time pulling us girls away, but they closed at 6 so we had to leave.  Mark and Angela invited us to join them at a friends house for a gathering.  Another fabulous day!  Thanks again for everything you guys.

We will go back and do that again.  Anyone want to join us?

Sunday was our last day and there was still so much we wanted to do!

I could just wander around the city and eat!  There are so many great restaurants and each with their own character.  This little place we had breakfast had community dining.  I hadn't had any coffee yet and didn't feel too social, so we sat at a table for two.  Very cute!

Last stop-The Empire State Building.

And there it is!  The view was well worth the $20 elevator ride to the 80th floor!
Kinda windy up top, but worth it!
We weren't the only ones enjoying the view.  Wonder how much they charge the birds?

Ok, so I have been to NYC three times now and still haven't really been shopping.  We walked through Macy's on our way out of town Sunday, but there was NO TIME.  I think my loving husband does this on purpose.  He has no patients to shop.  Girls!  We need to go to New York!

Cheers to NYC!  It was fun.

4 comments:

  1. Two words.....YOU SUCK! I love NYC and miss it terribly. Haven't been there for about 5 or 6 years now but went multiple times before marriage and babies. It's like another world isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula..don't be bitter. Come with me and shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome Lis!!! Glad you had a great time...i could totally tell by the smile on your face in every picture that you were enjoying the moments! Love that bar!!!! The history and stories behind it leaves a person feeling a bit eerie tho.....ie: the wishbone dustlight.
    Just remember....it isn't a great trip without a little bit of bruising involved :)

    ReplyDelete