Search This Blog

Thursday, October 1, 2009

A marathon..and running for good health!


Breaking news...I am registered to run my first marathon! Yikes! My good friend Holly talked me into it. (For those of you who don't know...this is Holly!)

I am very nervous to run a marathon. I started running a little over a year ago. I hated it at first, but have learned to really enjoy the 'high' and the intensity of the workout. Something about sweat dripping in your eyeballs becomes fun! And the feeling of accomplishment at the end of a good run is exhilarating! I have always enjoyed exercise and trying to eat right, but this has forced me into being a bit of a health nut. I also think this gives me a little sense of normalcy because of my diabetes.

Just a little background for anyone who is interested...being a type 1 diabetic is like being a living science project. Constantly thinking about everything I eat and being able to take the correct amount of insulin to keep my sugars under control is no picnic. Running make it interesting because I have to do a lot more calculating and monitoring of my sugar levels.

I am sure there are others like me who love to run and be healthy, but I don't know any other type 1 diabetics who run or run marathons for that matter. I am looking forward to the challenge and appreciate the love and support of my family and friends.

The race is in May, so I will keep you posted on my progress in training and the day to day grind of the challenge with diabetes. Thank you Holly for signing me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment