Search This Blog

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Quinoa recipe

(not a pic of the actual recipe, but you get the idea)

If you haven't heard of or tried QUINOA...let me bring you up to speed on this fabulous food!  It is the perfect food!  Because of my diabetes I can't do any type of rice and keep my sugars under control.  This is a great substitute!  I wanted to share with you a recipe from the Cooking Light magazine my neighbor lent me...


So delicious and yes...it is good for you.  A great side dish or a complete meal by itself.  


QUINOA WITH ROASTED GARLIC, TOMATOS AND SPINACH


1 whole garlic head (roasted)
1 Tsp olive oil
1 Tsp chopped shallots
1/4 tsp red pepper
1/2 c uncooked quinoa (rinsed to get the oil off)
1 Tsp white wine
1 c fat free chicken broth 
1 c fresh spinach
1/2 c chopped tomatos seeded
1 Tsp shaved parmesan
1/4 tsp salt


-Roast garlic in oven at 400 for 1 hour, cool for 10 minutes and squeeze the cloves out.


--Heat oil and sauté shallot and red pepper flakes for 1 minute.  Add quinoa and cook for 2 minutes.
Add wine and cook until liquid is absorbed then add chicken both and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.


- Remove from heat. Add garlic, tomatoes and spinach.  Add salt and cheese.  Serve or refrigerate.  It is good cold.


serves 4, 1/2 c servings


130 cal
4.1g protein
1.8g fiber
16g carb
5g fat


We discovered quinoa about a year ago while shopping at Costco, but you can get it in the bulk food section of most grocery stores.   It is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It looks like a grain, but it is a seed,  full of protein!  Its protein content is very high (12%–18%). Unlike wheat or rice (high on the glycemic index), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source among plant foods.   It is a good source of fiber and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. 


Quinoa has a light, fluffy texture when cooked, and its mild, slightly nutty flavor makes it an alternative to rice or couscous.  My experience has been it takes on the flavor of whatever you are cooking it with.  


If you haven't heard of it...give it a try.  I will continue to look for great recipes to share with you and anytime a recipe calls for rice I am going to use quinoa!  I even tried the flour.  It's not bad, just a little pricey.

2 comments:

  1. I love keeeenwahhhh too!!! I'm excited to make this recipe....I have a pilaf that has a lemon flavor..... and I am addicted!! My fam....not so much, but I will try this one out on them.

    ReplyDelete