Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Don't judge a soup by it's color...

 So... I realized after months (about 4) of holidays, entertaining, vacation and the day to day blah blah it is time to clean up my diet again.  Spring training (running camp) starts next week and I can't get through it if I don't straighten up.  As a type 1 diabetic I can't get through the day if I don't make wise food choices.

Today was great!  So great in fact I had to share my food with you.
This was dinner!  Ok, so not a flattering picture of the Greens + Beans Soup.  My brown bowl and orange placemat didn't set if off well, but this veggie packed blend will do a body good.  Broccoli, carrots, red pepper, kale and navy beans!!!!  Yummy!!!! 

You can check out the recipe at the link above.  I added an extra clove of garlic, 1/2 a sweet onion, and 4 cups of broth instead of 2.  I also choose fresh kale over the frozen variety the recipe called for.  

Instead of grilled cheese on the side I had a small, sprouted grain tortilla with tahini and goat cheese.  mmmmmmm!

I am really enjoying the foody blogs like Kat Eats Real food, with all the healthy stuff and I am getting more creative with my food.  I don't plan on starting my own food blog, but am happy to spread a good recipe around.

I told you about dinner, and this was lunch!
This one I came up with on my own.  Don't knock it til you try it!

1/2 c of fresh spinach
1 sm sweet potato (baked)
4 oz. ground chicken breast (browned, seasoned with chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, pepper, garlic oregano-all to taste)
drizzled with agava nectar
drizzled with balsamic vinegar
sprinkled with coconut (unsweetened)

That is a bowl full of energy!

I started my day off with some homemade steel cut oats!  I added a little cocoa powder, agave, pecans (to taste), flax seed, and a little protein powder!  I didn't think to take a picture, but you all know what oatmeal looks like.  

I am realizing the flavor in my cupboards.  It is amazing how easy it is to spice up whole foods.  After a day of clean eating I already feel better.  Hopefully it will pull me out of the winter funk and get me ready for spring!




No comments:

Post a Comment