Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A little history...

My family is a big part of Park City history.  The sign behind Derek, "WILLY'S RUN" at Park City Mountain Resort is named after my Grandfather, Willy Murnin.  

My Grandfather excavated many of the runs at Park City on a back-ho.  Apparently he rolled the back-ho and almost lost his life, so they named a run after him.  

(That's my Grandpa Will 1926-1995)

In March of 1985, Park City Ski Area held its first World Cup ski race on Willy's run.  It was also host the Men's Giant Slalom during the 2002 Winter Olympics.


He was not a skier, but a minor.  His family homesteaded in PC from Ireland.  It is a nice reminder of my great heritage to see "Willy's" when I visit my home town and a huge honor to be part of the history in such a beautiful place.

1 comment:

  1. Lis!!!! I'm so glad you documented your story!!! I love this story and your family should be proud!

    This was a great post!!! I love that you put in a pic of your gpa...now I have a face to put to the name Willy :)

    ReplyDelete