Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

6 Things I want you to know about diabetes...

Today is Diabetes Blog Day...I almost missed it!

The topic this year:  6 things I want you to know about diabetes.
(I haven't been blogging that long so this is my first year.)


1.  There are two types of diabetes.  Type 1 is insulin dependent (that's me). Type 2 means someone is insulin resistant.  The causes are different, but if not managed the outcome is the same...not good!

2.  Being a diabetic is a 24/7, 365 days of the year, full time job!  There is no such thing as a day off!!!  Not a minute goes by that I don't think about my disease.  When someone tells me to "just live a little" when offered cake, it sends me into a whirlwind in my head.  For a diabetic there are major calculations that go into eating a piece of cake.  Those comments can be hurtful, not helpful.

3.  Exercise is a huge piece of the puzzle when managing diabetes.  It's not always easy.  I have to calculate my sugar levels and my food very carefully.  Our family tries to makes this part of our daily life and I think we are much happier because of it!

4.  Diabetes forces you to be organized.  I can't leave the house without being sure I have my glucose meter, my pump is working properly and I have something to eat if my sugar gets low.  It is a pain in the butt!

5.  If my sugar is low I need some quick sugar.  Not a candy bar...juice or candy is best.  And, you don't treat a low sugar with more insulin.  People make these mistakes all the time and I need to set the record straight.

6.  Diabetes is a way of life for me.  Please be understanding of my disease and not critical of my habits.  I am doing the best I can and I learn something new everyday.  I like to share what I learn because good health is important to me.  

I could probably come up with about a gazillion more things to tell you, but I was only supposed to give you six...

    
**D-blog Day was started on November 9th 2005 during Diabetes Awareness Month, to help unite diabetes bloggers and create awareness about diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment