Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

A bad sugar day.

Sunday morning I rolled over and looked at the clock...8:30...what?!!!  I really slept in this morning.  No.  It was daylight savings time and I didin't set the clock back.  


Ok, so it was 7:30, but I am feeling extra tired.  For some reason I felt soooo groggy. I tell myself, "get up and check your sugars Lisa."  (I have to tell myself even though this is the first thing I do every morning).



So, I stumble into the bathroom and go through the routine...prick my finger, squeeze out a little blood and get it into the tiny test strip before me.  I wait 5 seconds....4...3...2...1...417!  What???  I rub my eyes.  

For those of you who don't have a clue....normal blood sugar in a person without diabetes is 80-120.  

Anyway...then it starts...why is my sugar so high?  What did I eat last night?  Did I forget to take my insulin?  Did I run out of insulin in my pump?  Is my pump working....well, you get the idea...

 Here are the numbers...423...418...445...381...329...355...239...308....232...230...205...147...77...


My site wasn't working (the place on my body where the pump is connected).  It took me about three hours and several new site attempts to get the kinks worked out....literally kinks in my cannula (the little tube in my body that delivers the insulin).  My sugars were out of control!!!!

You can (or maybe not) imagine how crappy I feel when this happens.  Or how anxious I am when the pump (my life line)  isn't working!  It is enough to make a person crazy (just ask my huband who held me while I cried,  "this disease is ruining my life").  

Although my sugars were under control by Sunday afternoon I will have to change my site again on Tuesday.  What if it doesn't work?  And then again on Friday... It makes me anxious just thinking about it.

Diabetes...never a dull moment.

This is just one of the many stuggles I face with diabetes. I will continue to share these kinds of stories with you this month because I am on a mission!  I want to stop diabetes.  






1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I want to cry for you right now! How horrible. :(

    I hope today is better. Big hugs. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete